Daydreaming about your next big holiday? We may be one of the most isolated nations in the world, but there are still some cheap places to travel from Australia.
So, if you don’t quite have the budget for a luxurious cruise or a 5-star stay in Paris, don’t stress.
By choosing the right place and booking at the right time, you can enjoy a fantastic getaway without forking out your entire savings account. Pack your suitcase for one of these cheap holiday destinations from Australia.
Pictured: Mount Rinjani, Lombok
For many Aussies, the first place that comes to mind for cheap places to go on holiday is Bali. If your dream holiday involves breathtaking beaches, bustling markets, vibrant nightlife and delicious seafood, Bali may indeed be the best cheap holiday destination for you.
But Indonesia has so much more to offer than this hyped tourist hub.
If you’re put off by Bali’s reputation or have been before and didn’t enjoy it, consider visiting one of these Indonesian alternatives:
- Lombok – Bali’s less developed and less crowded sister island
- Solo – a city brimming with authentic Javanese culture and traditional shopping centres
- Bunaken – a tiny isle with amazing underwater views (ideal for experienced divers)
- Bintan – an amazing island for golfers and water sports enthusiasts (great spas too!)
- Yogyakarta – splendid temples, natural wonders, and plenty of shopping opportunities.
Cheap Holiday Destination Snapshot: Indonesia
- Return flights from Australia: Between $450 and $940
- Budget Accommodation: AU$88 per night on average
- Meal: AU$3 at an inexpensive restaurant
Pictured: The white travertine pools and terraces in Pamukkale
Current economic struggles make Turkey a very affordable place to travel at the moment. There’s never been a better time to explore fascinating architecture and panoramas, witness the stunning white terraces of Pamukkale, visit ancient ruins, and cruise the Mediterranean in this beautiful country.
If paying your respects at Gallipoli is on your bucket list, now is a great time to book a holiday in Turkey.
Cheap Holiday Destination Snapshot: Turkey
- Return flights from Australia: Between $1,060 and $1,950
- Accommodation: AU$93 per night on average
- Meal: AU$6 at an inexpensive restaurant
3. New Zealand
Pictured: Jetboating in Queenstown
One of the best cheap holiday destinations from Australia is just across the ditch. While the culture and cost of living aren’t hugely different, the affordable flights make New Zealand a very attractive getaway for anyone who just needs some time away in a foreign (but not too foreign) place.
From the rich culture and revitalising thermal springs of Rotorua to the modern metropolis of Auckland, from the thrill-seeking paradise of Queenstown to the glorious national parks and scenery on every horizon, there’s something in New Zealand to delight anyone.
Cheap Holiday Destination Snapshot: New Zealand
- Return flights from Australia: Between $390 and $780
- Accommodation: AU$225 per night on average
- Meal: AU$19 at an inexpensive restaurant
Pictured: Ninh Binh
In terms of budgeting, Vietnam is the opposite of New Zealand; it costs a little extra to get there, but the cost of living during your trip will be incredibly low. Cheap yet delicious market meals and shopping bargains make Vietnam a dream destination for travellers on a budget.
This means you can save your holiday funds to truly enjoy all the attractions the country has to offer. Some of the most highly recommended things to see and do in Vietnam include:
- The Cu Chi Tunnels
- The Mekong River with its floating markets
- Hoi Ann Ancient Town
- The shops in Hanoi’s Old Quarter
- The War Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Minh City
- Bai Tu Long Bay
- Lake of the Restored Sword
- Ninh Binh
- Hoi An Impression Theme Park
- Son Doong Cave in Phong Nha Ke Bang National Park.
Cheap Holiday Destination Snapshot: Vietnam
- Return flights from Australia: Between $640 and $1,290
- Accommodation: AU$132 per night on average
- Meal: AU$3 at an inexpensive restaurant
5. Our Own Backyard
One of the best cheap holiday destinations from Australia is… Australia.
Let’s face it: Our backyard is massive. It would take a lifetime of travelling to explore all the cultural and natural wonders our own country has to offer.
So, if your budget is making it tricky to book overseas flights or a long-term stay in another country, why not take a holiday closer to home? You could:
- Take in the magnificence of Uluru
- Sightsee the iconic landmarks of Sydney
- Immerse yourself in the unique culture of Melbourne or Adelaide
- Take a winery tour through Western Australia’s renowned Margaret River vineyards
- Explore the rugged wilderness of the Northern Territory
- Enjoy the beaches and amusement parks on the Gold Coast
- Hop on over to Hobart for a cool and culturally rich holiday.
… all without spending most of your holiday budget on an expensive international flight.
If things are really tight, check this list of cheap school holiday ideas or apply for a small cash loan with Cigno. Borrowing up to $1,000 could help you afford a much-needed getaway to one of the cheap holiday destinations listed here.